Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Will I be able to get into a Phd Psychology Program (preferred Social or Counseling,maybe Clinical)?

I Majored in Psychology 3.91 GPA from Eastern Ct State Univ (respectable school) with a 3.7 GPA overall (Magna Cu.m Laude) and 2minors: Sociology (4GPA) and Spanish (4.0GPA).Member of Psi Chi (national HonorSociety Psych) and Sigma Delta PI(national Honor spanish). Member of the psych and spanish club, with good recommendation letters. GRE grades (680 and 760). Did a lot of Community Service, have some awards. I'm worried since I started as a Bio major having to repeat 2 courses (Intr Bio and org CHem -where I got 2 D's- and after I repeated got a B+ and A-). I also have B- in 2Gral Che courses and a C in Calc (however these are not required courses in Psych) . That was during my first 3 semesters, 'casuse had to work 5 days a week to cover my expenses -came from overseas to studyin US -I'mlatino).Then I decided to get some loans andwork less and my grades improved. I had a 3.95 GPA during my last 5 semesters and made the Dean's list those semesters, did research. Do I have a chance?

Will I be able to get into a Phd Psychology Program (preferred Social or Counseling,maybe Clinical)?
Oh I'm so jealous! Seems like you are very smart and you've done all you have to in order to get accepted. As long as you are not applying only to schools that accept 10 out of 300, you should be fine. If you don't know the rule, I was told to apply to 4 schools you know you'll get into, 4 schools you should be able to get into, and 2 schools you haven't much of a chance of getting into. I'm sure someone will accept you, as long as you are not a weird-o when it comes to interviews.





I hear that schools turn down applicants if they appear to be arrogant, irritable, confrontational, or dumbfounded. Go to the library and read books on how to make a good first impression. Make sure to talk to the professors that you want to work with, and know their work so that you can discuss it in depth or give a touch of your point of view.





My professors told me that I should apply, although I have less than a 3.0. I'm not all that smart, but supposedly I can write very well, I've done research and I'm submitting an article to a journal this semester. Schools love it when you have publications, so do more research, if you can, and try to get it published. Don't forget to tell them that you want to publish. If I have a chance, then you have the world in your hands! Don't sweat it too much.
Reply:If all you are saying here is factual, you really have nothing to be concern about.


Am surprised you have not found a benefactor, or a mentor to help you. So many in the Hispanic community are willing to offer a helping hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment