Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What kind of career path options would you suggest?

I have a dual pre-med degree in Neuroscience and Biology with a minor is Business Administration and I graduated with honors. Since graduation in 2004 I've been working in the clinical research side of things with major pharma companies who are trying to market their study drugs, which is a pleasant mix of science and business. however, I'm getting ready to go back to school in Fall 2008, but I'm undecided with which path to take. I was originally set on getting an MBA and excelling in my business job, but I've since learned of many other biology/medical related paths. Any suggestions? here is an abbreviated list:


MBA


med school (i considered it, but probably not the path for me)


RN


CRA





Any other suggestions? Details please. I live a little north of Atlanta, if that helps.

What kind of career path options would you suggest?
With the dual degree you have, maybe you should consider another alternative. You mention the "pleasant mix of science and business" working with a pharma company. Have you explored fields of nano-science? There is a lot of cutting edge research in the nano-technology field that is medical related. The University of Delaware is working on "self-assemble[ing]... multicompartment cylinders" (udel link) that can be used in radiation therapy. Researchers have also developed drug delivery nano-"viruses" that inject chemotherapy drugs directly into tumors. You might want to consider a nanotechnology related graduate degree.





Otherwise, I would suggest the MBA. You open up many doors with a business degree and it doesn't prevent you from continuing down a medical career path.
Reply:check out Keck Graduate Institute in Claremont, CA. They are a blend of exactly what you are describing. Here is a link to some of the career paths they mention. http://www.kgi.edu/x1742.xml





Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment