Friday, July 16, 2010

What are your thoughts on diagnostic medical sonography and clinical laboratory science?

My goal is to enter the diagnostic medical sonography (DMS) program . But then I found out about clinical laboratory science (CLS). I was wondering if I could get more insight from anyone who is currently a DMS or CLS. I have observed medical sonography performed at my doctor's office and found it interesting but when I read about CLS it seemed much more appealing because you don't deal w/ public on regular basis and work with microscopes and such but...





I believe DMS make more money than CLS correct?





What are the working conditions like for DMS and CLS?





I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about CLS. Many saying they do not get the pay (depending on location), respect they deserve, and that it is a very stressful field of work. Is this true?





My research has made me conclude that the job outlook for both DMS and CLS is promising, but why are some schools getting rid of their CLS programs and why is there a big shortage of CLS?

What are your thoughts on diagnostic medical sonography and clinical laboratory science?
I can't answer regarding the DMS, but I have been a CLS for 20 years now (can't believe that!), and I absolutely LOVE my job.





One of the things I like about being a CLS is that I have the opportunity to do many different things.





I have worked in the Blood Bank performing both routine and very specialized testing. Finding compatible blood for a patient that is very difficult to crossmatch gives you a great sense of accomplishment.





I have worked in Hematology..performing "routine" automated blood counts and slide differentials. Until the day you look in the microscope and find the leukemia that no-one suspected. I've done that, and made the call to the physician. He came right to the lab, to look at the slide with me and ask me questions about it. Or the day you find malaria!!





Microbiology is fascinating! Working up a difficult culture and letting the MD know what antibiotic will work. That department has alot of physician interaction, and is often active in the infection control aspects of a hospital.





I could go on and on, but I will say that I have not really faced lack of respect from the physicians. Often it is the other medical professionals in the hospital. Nurses are often the worst, but I honestly think alot of it has to do with their workload and not realizing the training I have. A nurse once asked my boss, when we were training a group of them in some "simple" bedside Point of Care testing, "I don't know why you are making this such a big deal...what does it take to put a drop of blood in a machine?" My boss replied.."4 years of college and 1 year of internship if you want to get it right". LOL!


Their attitudes all changed when they realized that the majority of the lab techs had more time invested in their training than the nurses did!





Almost every physician I have worked with has valued my knowledge and looked at me as a resource to him/her.





As far as CLS schools closing, it unfortunately has to do with the bad press the laboratory field has gotten. People realize they can become an RN in less time, and make more money. So less people are enrolling in the CLS programs. For those of us in the field, though, that has ultimately helped us in the salary department. The shortage of techs, means less people to do the jobs so many employers are offering better salaries and incentives. I know of one hospital right now, that is offering a $10,000 sign on bonus for Lab Techs!





Now, the laboratory field is getting more attention, and more students are selecting CLS. I work at a large teaching hospital in NC, and all of our CLS students have jobs before they graduate!





I hope this helps. Laboratory science is not for everyone, but for those of us that love it...it's fascinating and we love going to work everyday!
Reply:I don't have your answers, but here is some info:





Clinical laboratory technologist:


http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos096.htm





Sonographer:


http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos273.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment