Friday, July 16, 2010

Career Research Report - Child Psychologist.?

I'm doing a career research report and I'd like to be a psychologist when I'm older.





I'd like to specialize in teenagers, is there a specific name for that field? There are all these terms like developmental psychology or clinical. I don't understand that really. I just know I'd like to work with teenagers. What courses should I take in high school and college? What five duties would be common to this job?





How many years of college should I take and what would be the best degree to get?





What would be the entry level position I'd start at and would I be able to advance?





If you have a name of a school or company that could give me more information on this job, it would REALLY help.

Career Research Report - Child Psychologist.?
Its called an adolescent clinical psychologist.





Its best to major in psychology in college


Get LOTS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE!!!!!





4 years of under grad


4 or 5 years of graduate school


1 year of interning





This path is more rigorous and selective than medical school so choose wisely
Reply:Hi,





We are kind of in the same boat regarding goals. I would try to maintain a science major in high school, and any social science or behavioral classes your HS may have to offer - there are many ways to go: But you will need to get a bachelors degree after high school which within that is an Associates degree - you may want to consider your Associates degree in Business Management should you want to open your own practice or if you change your mind you will have a good Associates to fall back on that can make for good wages in a number of situations. Insofaras degrees, there are a number of ways to go - you can work with teenagers at most any level after you obtain your license. If you plan on going into your own practice (In Illinois at least) you must have a Masters degree as well. I am not sure about requirements for other states. I would concentrate on getting really good grades in HS, get your Associates, and then get your bachelors. School choices? It depends on where you are, but certainly start your research now. There is alot of helpful info on Yahoo and Google. Good choice, and best of luck. PS -Good exposure for you job wise might be a receptionist at a mental health facility or private practice for starters, or a hospital with a mental health wing. Stay disciplined and focused, and you will do great! I am specializing in Art Therapy. Best to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment