Friday, July 16, 2010

What do I expect from graduate school?

I am about to complete my 2nd year of graduate school at a science/research oriented university in California. I am pursuing a Master's degree in Nutrition and feel as if what has been expected of me by my major professor is too much. I took a full load of classes my first year, then I was pushed into coordinating and entire clinical study on my own (with no knowledge or guidance of how to do that), which has taken up my entire 2nd year. With the study set to end by summer, I now have to analyze all the samples from the study pertaining to what I will write my thesis on. This should take about 6 months of lab work. Then I have to actually write my thesis. I have been provided little help or support, and no financial support along the way. The university encourages Master's students to be finished in 2 years maximum. Am I just uninformed about how the system usually works, or does this not quite sound right? Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

What do I expect from graduate school?
This sounds typical for what I am guessing is a cal state like CPP. Normally UCs have very few masters students, and have more help available from other students and the department. Unfortunately this sounds about right and the only thing you can do is just get it done. I have known very few people to finish their masters, in a research science, in less than 2.5 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment