Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Are there any former or current clinical laboratory scientists here?

I'm a current student debating on whether or not it is worth it to get my degree in CLS.





What are your thoughts about CLS?





I enjoy working in a team type setting or alone but would rather not deal with the public on a daily basis. I enjoy biology and working with microscopes and technology. Would being a CLS fit that?





In my research I have found several post from former/current CLS that say it is not worth it, that they do not get the pay and respect they deserve, and that they would not do it again.





As far as pay goes I have found that CLS on the west coast (especially California) make the most money. Seeing that I'm already on the west coast (Nevada) I would not have to move far. In fact I've already found a few jobs here for CLS starting around 55,000/yr.





To me CLS looks very appealing and from what I hear the job outlook is promising...just don't understand why some schools are getting rid of their CLS program.





So you to you former/current CLS...is it worth it?

Are there any former or current clinical laboratory scientists here?
I was a former CLS and I thought the job was worth it: paid well, interesting, various shifts available. You can work in the hospital, a research clinical lab, a research lab, a reference lab, the Red Cross (in blood banking); forensic labs (coroner's office), crime labs, etc. I worked in viral research, blood bank, immunoserology and clinical chemistry but still liked microbiology as well. Nevada pays well, BTW. As to respect, respect from whom? The hospital I was at, the doc's came to the lab all the time for help (the nurses yelled at us but easily ignored). After 15 years, I went to PA school %26amp; the lab background was invaluable. Sounds like a good fit for you but you could do some "shadowing" to make sure.
Reply:idk i was thinking of doing the clt program (along with many others im a lil undecided) but thats the technician not technologist program. from what ive read the outlook is good for jobs for both cls and clt..i just wanna be out of school clt is 2yr and i believe cls is 4yr...maybe they are burnt out didnt like the job to begin with sounds like you have an interest in it as do I.


No comments:

Post a Comment