Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Do I have a shot in a Phd Psychology Program (Counseling, Social or Clinical)?

I Majored in Eastern Ct State Univ (respectable school) with an overall GPA 3.71 and my major PSy 3.91 GPA PSychology (Magna Cu.m Laude) and 2minors: Health (4GPA) and Spanish (4.0GPA).MemberPsi Chi (national HonorSociety Psych) and Sigma Delta PI(national Honor spanish).Member of the psych and spanish, health club, with good recommendation letters. GRE grades (680 and 760). Did a lot Community Service, have someawards.I'm worried since I started as a Bio major having to repeat 2 courses (Intr Bio and org CHem -where I got 2 D's- and after I repeated got a B+ and A). I also have B- in 2Gral Che courses and a C in Calc (however these are not required courses in Psych).That was during my first 3 semesters,'casuse had to work 5 days a week to cover my expenses -came from overseas to studyin US -I'mlatino).Then I decidedto get some loans and work less and my grades improved. I had a 3.95 GPA during my last 5 semesters and made theDean's list those semesters,did research. Do I have a shot?

Do I have a shot in a Phd Psychology Program (Counseling, Social or Clinical)?
I'm not sure why you keep posting this same question a few times every week, since you've gotten reasonable answers (both from me and from others). If you are looking for more than just a yes/no answer, then you should revise your question. Also, if you want to know your chances, talk to your psych faculty and they will be honest with you. Other than that, I'll repost my answer to you from a few weeks ago:





Yes you have a chance to get in somewhere, and possibly a well-regarded program at that. However, you really need to narrow down what your interests are and figure out what kind of research you want to be doing for 4-8 years after you graduate. You'll need to know not just what area of psych you want to go for (cognitive, counseling, social, etc.), but also what general area of research you want you pursue in that area (i.e. language development in cognitive, stereotyping in social). Schools are looking for people who know what they want to do at a moderately specific level, and whose interests match those of the faculty who are taking on new students that year. You could be the smartest and most qualified student to apply, but if you don't have a clue what direction you want to take with research, you'll likely end up in the rejection pile.
Reply:Well, if you really earned all those credits, you have the bragging material. U n l e s s you actually a p p l y to the University and let t h e m decide, you really won't know will you. So hurry up and get your application in!!!


Wish you the best, you'll spend half your life trying to pay off the loan though.


No comments:

Post a Comment