Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Science teacher with a Clinical Laboratory Science Major?

I want to study CLS i simply love it. I really like the idea of teaching as well. So I'd like to have both research lab and science classroom as options. I know a Biology major is the most commun BS that end up as teachers but wouldnt someone who studied CLS be a better microbiology teacher?





Someone suggested i did a major in CLS and then a minor in Biology because after my love for working in the lab is my love for working with animals and helping preserve the environment.





So any insight you have on this will be helpful. Anything to help me reach a decision im comfortable with.

Science teacher with a Clinical Laboratory Science Major?
I majored in biology. In the process there were many, many bio clases available to take, and many of these included labs. So if you're interested in microbiology, there are numerous classes with labs that would give you a taste of both. And remember this: you'll be exposed to different laboratory techniques in micro than in a standard bio class or a chemistry class (as well as different equipment like an autoclave).





I think you would do well to major in biology as an undergraduate to get a better feel for what you like. When I started out, I thought micro would be the coolest. But I took an animal behavior class my senior year and was blown away because it looked at things on the micro and macro levels using all that I'd learned in previous classes to explain animal behvior. It left me wishing I had concentrated on this field of study. I didn't go on to graduate school, but I would highly recommend it. Most poeple really just don't know enough about the field before they start.





I would also suggest you take as much chemistry as you can handle, especially organic and biochemistry--an understanding of these makes the biology make more sense. Work closely with your advisor, don't just see him/her when you have to. Explain your goals and advise him/her as these goals/interests change.





In closing, I would also suggest you plan to volunteer as a lab assistant to the professor who has the most similar interests to your own. I spent a lot of time extracting bacterial DNA and sequencing it for my professor. You can learn a lot outside of the classroom.





Good luck with your studies!


No comments:

Post a Comment