Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Is there a possibility I can get into a Phd Psychology Program (Counseling, Social or Clinical)?

I Majored in Psychology 3.71 GPA from Eastern Ct State Univ (respectable school) with a 3.7 GPA PSy (Magna Cu.m Laude) and 2minors: Health (4GPA) and Spanish (4.0GPA).Member of Psi Chi (national HonorSociety Psych) and Sigma Delta PI(national Honor spanish). Member of the psych and spanish, health club, with good recommendation letters. GRE grades (680 and 760). Did a lot of Community Service, have some awards. I'm worried since I started as a Bio major having to repeat 2 courses (Intr Bio and org CHem -where I got 2 D's- and after I repeated got a B+ and A). I also have B- in 2Gral Che courses and a C in Calc (however these are not required courses in Psych) . That was during my first 3 semesters, 'casuse had to work 5 days a week to cover my expenses -came from overseas to studyin US -I'mlatino).Then I decided to get some loans and work less and my grades improved. I had a 3.95 GPA during my last 5 semesters and made the Dean's list those semesters, did research. Do I have a chance?

Is there a possibility I can get into a Phd Psychology Program (Counseling, Social or Clinical)?
It really depends on where you want to go to school. I am at the California School of Professional Psychology as a 3rd year clinical psych student. It's a 4 year program for PsyD and a 5 year program for PhD. (4th and 5th years are internships for the PhD program). It's a well known school in California. You would most likely be accepted to our school. There are several in California. After the 2nd year you are awarded a masters in clinical psych, but you can't stop the program. There are many masters levels clinical psych programs, but for the money and time invested, its such a better move to get the doctorate. Masters degrees are becoming less and less


competitive. Your seem to have done a lot of great undergrad work. You most likely will not have a problem getting into a decent program. During the last year of your PhD program you go to internship. The mark of a good program is the number of students they place each year. Go to APPIC.org and click on the right side "match statistics." This way you can backtrack and find a program that may be near you that has a good match rate. You can do all of the studying and paying tuition but when it comes down to internship, you need to be at a competitive school, otherwise you may not get an internship and not graduate on time.


If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Reply:If your Latino then why did you take spanish classes? The Psych program won't count that has real work because you speak spanish. it has to be a new language. You would have been better off doing English or French.

human teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment