Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chance in a Phd Psychology (Social, Counseling or Clinical)?

I Majored in Psychology 3.91 GPA from Eastern Ct State Univ (respectable school) with a 3.7 GPA overall (Magna Cu.m Laude) and 2minors: Sociology (4GPA) and Spanish (4.0GPA).Member of Psi Chi (national HonorSociety Psych) and Sigma Delta PI(national Honor spanish). Member of the psych and spanish club, with good recommendation letters. GRE grades (680 and 760). Did a lot of Community Service, have some awards. I'm worried since I started as a Bio major having to repeat 2 courses (Intr Bio and org CHem -where I got 2 D's- and after I repeated got a B+ and A-). I also have B- in 2Gral Che courses and a C in Calc (however these are not required courses in Psych) . That was during my first 3 semesters, 'casuse had to work 5 days a week to cover my expenses -came from overseas to studyin US -I'mlatino).Then I decided to get some loans andwork less and my grades improved. I had a 3.95 GPA during my last 5 semesters and made the Dean's list those semesters, did research. Do I have a chance?

Chance in a Phd Psychology (Social, Counseling or Clinical)?
Call the schools you're thinking about getting into and see what their requirements are. Every school will have different grade and SAT score requirements. Since your overall GPA is good I would think you have a good chance even though you did flunk Intro Bio and Org chem in the beginning, plus those classes aren't required for Psychology, so I think you're good. But just check the schools and see. Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment