Thursday, August 19, 2010

Which summer job should I choose?

I recently applied to two very different jobs and got offered both of them. First job is as a residential counselor at a private eating disorders clinic in an upscale neighbourhood. Second job is a government job as a project manager for a research study on substance abuse counseling at the Veteran Affaris Health Care System and Stanford Medical School.


My dilemma is this - I have already begun training for the eating disorders job, which is going to give me some direct clinical experience with real patients. It pays $14.50/hr with horrible benefits. However, I have to go from 3pm-11pm 3 times a week and from 9am to 9pm on Saturdays for a total of 36 hrs. I love this schedule because I get to sleep in...and I have insomnia, which makes it hard for me to get good sleep as it is.


The second job - I'll call it the research job - pays $49,000 annualy for a 44hr week. Of course, that would be 9am to 5:30pm daily (ugghhhh). My biggest fear is that my insomnia will make this job hell!!

Which summer job should I choose?
Write down both jobs of separate pieces of paper. Fold them up, jumble them around and pick one. As you read what job you picked, pay close attention to how you feel. Are you glad you picked Job A over Job B or are you feeling disappointed and wish you had picked the other piece of paper? Listen to your feelings and good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment