Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What colleges are within my reach?

I worry far too much for my own good.


10-12 HS GPA - 4.32 Weighted, 3.9 or so unweighted, factor in freshman year and it gets a bit worse (had a bad family/friends time then and many negative influences which I am hoping colleges will understand).


That GPA will be 4.4 by end of senior year. I have taken many AP/Honors courses in all different subject areas, but I have a focus on science and math.


I have done a small amount of community service, but this summer I will be doing a full internship with clinical and research training in medicine (specifically neurology), 5 days a week for around 2 months. I am also an accomplished musician who plays piano, guitar, bass and trombone.


I am looking at UCLA, Berkeley, UCSB, Cornell, U of Chicago, mostly very good schools but none of the top ivies as they are likely out of my reach. My SAT score comes back tomorrow but it will probably be between 2100-2300. What are my chances?

What colleges are within my reach?
If your SAT score comes back in that range, you have a shot at the elite schools. You will certainly get into some good universities.





Princeton Review has a tool where you can enter information about your interests and background. It will then suggest schools for you.





Good luck
Reply:ok first off, unfortunately for you, freshman GPA does count. Also, to most schools, GPA is less important than how well you do academically compared to your peers. Class rank/class size? Also, 2100 to 2300 is a huge range for SAT scores, and I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch if I were you. It's good that you are planning a full internship this summer, but it would have helped if you had done more stuff so it doesn't look like you threw stuff on your resume at the last minute. Music is great; it shows your balance as a student. Also, if you are seriously considering Chicago, take the ACT cuz it's easier and Chicago is in the Midwest so they'll take it.





Overall, assuming this is not a comprehensive list of academic achievements, you have a decent shot at some elite colleges. It may be better to take a huge scholarship and go to school for free. I got a 35 ACT on my 1st and only try, and am considering attending U. of Nebraska in the fall of '09 on a full ride, plus spending money.


No comments:

Post a Comment