Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Is this a good plan for taking the MCAT and medical school?

I am currently entering my junior year of college. Right now I'm doing a research program at the Medical school of my choice. I am planning on taking the MCAT in August 2009, so I can have the entire summer as well as take an MCAT prep course (at the same Medical School of my choice). If i start applying to medical school thereafter, will I still be able to enroll in medical school immediately after I graduate (in fall 2010)? Also, my GPA is a 3.4 right now, and I am planning on rasing it to at LEAST a 3.6 this upcoming year. The medical school of my choice is in my home state, and I will have recommendations from that school for my application, as well as having the research and clinical experience from that school. Do you think I have a good chance of getting in? (I am also a minority)

Is this a good plan for taking the MCAT and medical school?
I think you have an excellent chance. Of course, you have to be honest with yourself and accept the fact that your GPA isn't all that high, which suggests that you won't get the highest MCAT score, too. These two links will allow you to compare yourself to other matriculates:





http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section...





http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/start.htm
Reply:I think that this plan is really good. Prep courses are always helpful and they definitely can't hurt. Just make sure to raise your GPA because medical school can be really competitive to get into. Also, it is good to do something related to the medical career track. That will help you a lot when applying. You could try becoming an EMT to gain some experience. Keep up the good work and good luck with med school !


No comments:

Post a Comment