Thursday, August 19, 2010

Think I can get into psychology grad. program at Berkeley (or other school in CA)?

I will graduate with a BA in English lit, minor in psych. 3.5 gpa, basic and a few upper level psych classes. Minor research experience (inter-rater reliability study). Strong interest in clinical psych. Do I have a chance? I hear they like different educational backgrounds. Hard to get work/research experience though at my age.

Think I can get into psychology grad. program at Berkeley (or other school in CA)?
Probably not. Any top grad program is likely going to be looking for people with a demonstrated blood and soul kind of commitment to their subject.





If you really have your heart set on Berkeley, it would probably help if you took a year off and found a psych professor to assist (and get yourself published!), worked/volunteered in a psych ward, or did some kind of mental health work. Even better, do all of this and complete a masters in psychology at an easier-to-get into state school (surely there's a year-long program somewhere?).





I'm sure there are lots of perfectly good programs that you would be able to get into now, but I think you'll probably have to do a little more work before you'd be admitted to Cal.





However, I hope that you aren't put off applying - your record looks good, and I don't really know enough about your situation or their requirements to make an expert judgment. Maybe just call UC Berkeley's psych department? Some faculty can be amazingly chatty and wont to pull strings if they like you.

human teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment