Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What can I do to become a Medical Technologist?

I have a degree (took Psychology and Biology courses, also took some marine mammal related courses). I didn't take Micro, Hemo, A%26amp;P and several other classes at a Bachelor's level. I have a Veterinary technology degree, too, but I want to go back to school. With the degrees I have, how many years do you think it will take me to finish at UNH or UNE (Biddeford, ME) studying full time? Also, do you love your job? Do you find it rewarding? I know nurses get paid more, but I think I would find this more enjoyable. How is the potential for growth? Are you in clinical or research?

What can I do to become a Medical Technologist?
MLT in a clinical setting. I find it extremely rewarding. There isn't nearly as much room to move up as there is with nursing. Personally, I can totally see myself working in the lab until I retire. I have coworkers who have been at the same hospital for over 35 years! I wanted to be a nurse until I discovered that I am really not much of a people person. I love helping people but I don't think I can handle what they have to do. I go home every day mentally tired and yet refreshed from another day doing something I absolutely love.





I'm not sure what programs you are looking at but if you have a Bachelor degree in the sciences you can take the MLT course and challenge the BOR at the MT level. I'd check with ASCP or NCCLS for details on how ever many years experience req. for challenging the board.


No comments:

Post a Comment