Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Do I have any chance of going to an Ivy University?

Hi, I'm just concerned about getting into a high ranking college. I'm coming to the end of junior year, with all A's this (probably) and last semester, 2 AP's and 1 honors. Sophomore year I got 1 B 6 A's 1st semester and all A's 2nd semester, 2 honors (not many at my school sophomore year). Next year I'm taking 3 AP's and one honors, all math/science related, and will continue to try very hard to get straight A's.


I have done a small amount of Comm. service, but I plan to work this summer at UCSF at an internship, where I will likely work 5 days a week full days, doing research AND clinical work, which will add many volunteer hours.


I am also musician in my jazz band, guitarist, trombonist and piano player, but do not want a major in music.


My concern stems from my freshman year. I had a really bad year, and got 2-3 C's, 2 B's and only 2 A's (ugh). I am worried this will badly hurt my chances... does anyone know how much it really matters? (Assuming I get all A's senior year as well).

Do I have any chance of going to an Ivy University?
Sadly grades are less important than all your trouble. What is your race and gender. Those seem to be the winsome factors in many schools these days.
Reply:It sounds like you are a very committed student. The Ivy leagues schools have lower acceptance rates than ever ranging from 8 to 10 % acceptance rates. Having good grades is definetly important. They dont weigh your freshman year as much as they do the other years. However if you are really trying to get into an Ive League, you have to get atleast a 2200 on your sat. A little lower and i think you will be fine, but the schools are becoming so competitive they can set such high standards, so i would take the time and effort to make sure you get a good sat score because it will help you. Other than that it sounds like you have really good refrences, and even if you dont end up at some private school, you will get into some good colleges, good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment